Expert Tips from Computer Repair Specialists in Baltimore, MD
Our expert technicians in Baltimore have great tips to share for virus detection and prevention. Visit our page regularly for the latest computer maintenance trends and techniques.
Virus Detection and Prevention Tips
- Do not open any files attached to an email or click any links in an email from an unknown, suspicious or untrustworthy source.
- Do not open any files attached to an email unless you know what it is, even if it appears to come from a dear friend or someone you know. Some viruses can replicate themselves and spread through email. Better to be safe than sorry and confirm that they really sent it.
- Do not open any files attached to an email if the subject line is questionable or unexpected. If the need to do so, always save the file to your hard drive before opening it. This allows your AntiVirus software to scan it.
- Delete chain emails and junk email. Do not forward or reply to any to them. These types of email are considered spam, which is unsolicited, intrusive mail that clogs up the network.
- Do not download any files from strangers or that you do not recognise.
- Exercise caution when downloading files from the Internet. Ensure that the source is a legitimate and reputable one. Verify that an anti-virus program checks the files on the download site. If you’re uncertain, don’t download the file at all or download the file and test it with your own anti-virus software.
- Update your anti-virus software regularly. Over 1500 new infections are discovered each month, so you’ll want to be protected. These updates should be at the least the products virus signature files. You may also need to update the product’s scanning engine as well.
- Back up your files on a regular basis. If a virus destroys your files, at least you can replace them with your back-up copy. You should store your backup copy in a separate location from your work files, one that is preferably not on your computer. We prefer using an external hard drive. We are not fans of cloud based backup products.